How To Make Authentic Focaccia
Ever wondered how to make authentic focaccia? This is a traditional Italian recipe and is exactly how modern-day Italian focaccia made in homes all over Italy. I’ve been using this recipe, given to me by good friend Valeria, for several years now. It gets easier – and better – with practise!
500ml tepid water
500g bread flour
75g instant potato powder
25g olive oil
7g dried yeast / 20g fresh yeast
- In a bowl, mix the flour, potato powder, salt and yeast
- Add olive oil
- Start to mix the dough, adding the water gradually
- The mixture will be very loose and sticky. Keep working the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic – at least 5 minutes
- Line & grease a deep baking pan
- Place the dough into the pan and gently stretch to the corners
- Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to ‘rest’ for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees
- Add your topping to the bread – rosemary and salt or halved cherry tomatoes and oregano for example.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a rack but it tastes DELICIOUS eaten warm!