What To Wear To Fit & Flatter
Welcome to week 2 of your Body Shape Master Class. Today we’re going to look at the Top Heavy – also known as athletic, among other things.
- Bring all the attention to the top half of the body.
- Jackets and tops need to finish above or below the widest point of the hips or bottom.
- Layering on the top half is a great look.
- Get jackets and tops to fit the shoulders rather than the hips – one can always leave the bottom button undone.
Tops: Patterned, horizontal stripes, twin sets, ruffle, shirts, bulky sweaters
Skirts: Simple lines: long flip, bias, panelled depending on shape of lower half, pencil if fabric is soft
Trousers: Plain, flat fronted with a side zip, bootleg, drawstring, flares and palazzo (for long legs)
Jackets: Single breasted, double breasted, military, edge to edge, padded, denim
Coats: Single breasted, trench, fur trimmed, military. With all coats, tuck in hip pockets or remove them.
Dresses: Separates work best, wrap may work
Jeans (too many pockets)
Details on skirts and trousers
Halter necks and raglan sleeves
Tight fitting single layered tops
Tops and jackets finishing at your widest point.
Below the waist:
Weight – light to medium
Texture – minimum
Fluidity – soft fluid fabrics that drape
Fabrics cut on the bias
Above the waist:
Weight – medium to heavy, light worn layered
Texture – medium to heavy
All types of woollen fabrics
All types of knits
On top half only
Any pattern, horizontal stripes are good
Key looks for the fuller figured triangle
- Attention and details all need to be above the waist line. In many cases this may also be high.
- The bottom needs to be accommodated in soft fluid fabric that is not too flimsy as this will not be flattering.
- Look for elasticated waist bands, as this body shape often has a small waist compared with the hip or thigh size. Hipster styles can work if fitted properly.
- Layering on the top half is fun and necessary to balance out hips; also consider shoulder pads to increase and straighten shoulder width and size.
- Go for fabulous accessories, brooches and earrings that make a statement are a must
- Belts will draw attention to wait thus making great accessories
- Avoid any handbag that hangs on the hips